Thursday, May 29, 2014

Assignment #5: Syntax My Word In My Mental Lexicon

1. Can my word be used as more than one part of speech?
Yes, my word can be used as both a noun and a verb according to the dictionaries in Assignment 1.

2. Are sample sentences given for different uses of the word in all of the dictionaries?
Sample sentences were only given in one of the dictionaries used in Assignment 1.

3.  What does this research tell me about dictionaries?
This research tells me that not all dictionaries include the same information in their entries for words.


4. Does it raise any questions for me about dictionaries?
It does raise questions for me.  One of the questions it raises for me is... Who decides what new words are added and gets included in a dictionary?

5. What other words collocate with my word?
  • Killing- causing a death
  • Violence - behavior involving physical force intended to hurt
  • Shooting - firing, projectile , pain and suffering
  • Shanked - long narrow part that causes grave harm
  • Scalped- a portion of the skin attached to hair that is cut from body
  • Stoned - To be have rocks and objects at you until death
  • Poisoned - toxic substance that can cause death
  • Drowned - die by being submerged underwater
  • Hung - To be a source wrapped around your neck that cuts off air supply and possibly breaking the neck
  • Suffocate - cutting off air supply

6. In what contexts does your word appear?
My word seems to appear anytime the news is on and on all TV crime shows and media outlets.


7. What does the entry look like in my mental lexicon?


Murder
1. Death
2. Killing
3. Wrong


8. How does my mental lexicon entry compare to dictionary entries? 

My mental lexicon compares to the dictionary entries only because some of the dictionary entries are similiar but mine include slang words used in today's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment